Saturday, January 21, 2017

Stay at home mom life.........

I don't speak for all stay at home mom's, I'm just speaking for myself, my own experience, don't get me wrong, I do love it, but some days are hard.

When I hear "it must be nice" my heart sinks, I immediately feel guilty, like I did something wrong, or bad. Why you might ask? Well, here's why..........

"It must me nice"...... to go to work all day, where you get paid, where you get to focus on your task at hand, with few interruptions. It must be nice to use the bathroom in peace and by yourself (well typically anyway). It must be nice to have a break for lunch, where you get a warm meal, and you can enjoy it in peace or while socializing with other adults. It must be nice to get off work, come home to a hot meal, a clean house, a hot shower, and a seat to relax and watch t.v. then you head to bed, where you quickly fall asleep so you can do it all over again tomorrow.

As for me, most days I wake up early, I have many things I have to do and each day may be slightly different. There early mornings, breakfast, play time, laundry, and naps. Crying toddlers, whining kiddos, toys scattered and snacks being demanded. On days I don't go to work in the evening, I do my best to make sure there's a hot meal waiting for my husband. So while juggling children, and working in those naps, there's
laundry, picking up toys multiple times a day, cleaning the floors and bathroom, only that goes unnoticed bc it's wrecked shortly after it's cleaned. Same with those scattered toys I just picked up. The meal is made, all while trying to keep the toddler happy with various foods. The older kids may complain because that's not what they wanted, and sometimes, after a long hard day I'll make pizza, or nuggets with mac & cheese, because I need a break and don't want to fight the kids. Then dishes, baths, and bedtimes, I'll end up with kiddos fighting and complaining and telling me they are not tired, they will fall asleep shortly, they usually do. Once all this is done, I'll finally get my bath to relax my aching muscles, but it's usually not until after 10pm.

I don't get a break, I usually eat my food cold, I usually use the bathroom with a toddler in the bathroom and kids talking to me from under the door. I don't get paid for my job, but it saves money, and is incredibly rewarding.

But I feel guilty, how dare I even consider time to myself, or a break, or time to relax. My husband busts his butt everyday making money to pay the bills. My husband deserves the break, he should have a hot meal waiting for him. I feel guilty asking him for help. I feel guilty when he washes the dishes after dinner. I feel guilty when he asks how my day was and I say I'm tired. I feel guilty taking that hot bath, and hearing him deal with a fussy toddler who doesn't want to sleep. I feel guilty when the baby wakes him up in the middle of the might. I feel guilty for not waking up at the butt crack of dawn and making him breakfast. I feel guilty asking him for a break or help on his days off. I feel guilty taking my kids places to go make memories, when there is housework to be done. 

This is the life I always wanted, to be a mother and wife. But some days it's really hard, it's exhausting, but I love it.

Mom's, you are doing a great job, don't feel guilty, do what works best for your family. It's okay to ask for a break, your job is 24/7. It's okay to ask for help, you are not super woman, but you are one he'll of a mother!

No comments: